Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Makeover Macaroni and Cheese

Love to find healthier versions of something that my family already eats! Especially something as yummy as mac and cheese! This was really creamy and I love that I can sneak some whole grains into it! We used this as a side dish the night that I tried it, so I only made a half of a batch. It worked perfectly for our family of 5!

Makeover Macaroni and Cheese
(recipe found in Taste of Home Healthy Cooking)
Serves: 8

1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni - I do 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 regular
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups fat free milk
1 package (16 ounces) reduced fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in process cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese until smooth. Drain macaroni; stir into cheese sauce.

Remove from the heat; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment