Tuesday, November 17, 2015

French Toast Sticks



I recently started a new job as community education director in my hometown. One of the responsibilities of this job is to set up classes for kids and adults in our community. I have heard a lot of people mentioning that they would love a freezer cooking class and I knew that this one would be right up my alley. So, I am diving right in and trying to figure out a few different recipes to make for the class. I have a few that I have done for myself and I know that they will work awesome, but I wanted to try a few new ones and that means testing them out before the class. Freezer breakfasts in our house are a big hit, they are so nice to be able to throw in the microwave or toaster and warm up - especially if it is something that the kids can do on their own. These were just the thing and they hit all that criteria!! I made these for supper one night and did a double batch so that I could test out the freezer side of it. They are a hit!! The kids were devouring them as they came off the griddle and are eating them every morning with the same enthusiasm. They are easy for the kids to reheat and that is a huge bonus, especially on those mornings when I get called to sub and we are trying to get out the door!


French Toast Sticks
(Recipe found at beentherebakedthatrecipes.blogspot.com via pinterest.com)

10 slices Texas toast
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon


Begin by slicing each piece of bread into four sticks and set aside. Mix together in a large bowl, eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon until well combined. Begin dunking each slice of bread into egg/milk mixture and placing into the heated skillet. Let cook on each side until browned. When done remove and place onto a plate and repeat with remaining sticks. Once cooked and all cooled, line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place each stick on sheet and place in the freezer for about one hour or until frozen. Then remove and transfer to a large gallon sized freezer bag. Make sure to label with contents and date. Try to remove as much air as possible from bag to prevent freezer burn. Store in freezer until ready to use. When ready to serve, remove desired number of sticks and heat in toaster or in microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment