Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Wii Remote Birthday Cake



I knew when I pinned this cake that at least one of my boys was going to want it for their birthday... I was right! As soon as I showed it to my 9 year old, he jumped at the chance to have it for his friend party! I love the way that it turned out and it was super easy to put together. It did require buying a variety of candies though...


Wii Remote Birthday Cake
(idea found on pinterest via parenting.com)

1 (13x9 inch) cake
1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting or I made my own cream cheese frosting
black food coloring
4 pieces white hard-shelled Orbit gum
7 white Mentos (I couldn't find these, so I used mini marshmallows)
3 brown, 2 blue and 1 red M&M's Minis
1 large marshmallow
1 blue licorice twist (Twizzler rainbow)

Trim the top of the cake to make level. Cut a 2 inch strip down one long edge of cake and discard. (or eat, whatever is your preference...) Round corners of cake with a small knife. Transfer cake, cut side down, on a serving platter. Add a small amount of black food coloring to 1/4 cup of the frosting to tint it gray. Spoon the gray frosting into a resealable bag. Tint 1 tablespoon of the vanilla frosting black with more food coloring. Spoon the black frosting into a resealable bag. Spread the remaining vanilla frosting on top and sides of cake and make smooth. Snip a very small corner from the bag of gray frosting and the bag of black frosting. Pipe a thin line of the gray frosting about 1/2 inch in from outer edge of cake, as pictured. Press the M&M's Minis, Mentos and Orbit gum into the top of the cake as pictured for the controller's buttons. With the black frosting, pipe 6 rows of 3 black dots. Cut the blue licorice twist in half, leaving 2 inches at one end. Press the uncut end into the flat side of a marshmallow and press the licorice twist into the side base of cake. Press the cut ends of the licorice twist together to make the hand strap.

No comments:

Post a Comment