Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal

I'm not a huge oatmeal fan... I think that plain oatmeal is boring and everytime that I eat it, I feel like I am just choking it down. The instant packets seem so small that I always make a couple and then I feel like I am eating way too much... So, when I found this recipe I wanted to try it, just to see if there was something different that I could do to oatmeal to make me enjoy it - since it is supposed to be such a healthy, stick to your ribs sort of meal...

This recipe was fabulous!! To paraphrase the 3 bears and their incident with a blondie... "it wasn't too runny or too thick, it was just right!" Try it, you might start to like oatmeal too! :)




Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal

(recipe found at http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/)



2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced

Optional Toppings:
brown sugar
raisins
dried cranberries
chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 350. Coat an 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, butter, egg whites and vanilla.

Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently stir in diced apples. Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until oatmeal is golden brown and set. Remove from oven and serve warm. Add additional toppings to baked oatmeal, if desired.

Servings: 4
Points: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment