Thursday, November 24, 2011

Slow Cooked Caribbean Pot Roast

I wanted to use one of the roasts that I have in my freezer and decided to try something new instead of my "same old, same old"... So, I found this recipe in my Taste of Home magazine and decided to try it out. It was super delicious!! I don't know that I will always make it this way, since my other recipe for roast is so simple, but it was great tasting!!



Slow Cooked Caribbean Pot Roast
(recipe found in Taste of Home Healthy Cooking)

2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
2 large carrots, sliced
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 1/2 pounds)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce

Place potatoes, carrots and celery in a 5 quart slow cooker. In a skillet, brown meat in oil. Transfer meat to slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Combine next 11 ingredients; stir in tomato sauce. Add to skillet; heat through. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.

Serves: 10
Points: 6 per 3 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup vegetable mixture

No comments:

Post a Comment