Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Chili Con Queso



This is the last of the new recipes that I made for my bunco night at my house. I have been wanting to try this queso recipe for a while, but as much as I love cheese I knew that I would probably eat way too much of it! :) This is a healthier version of a dip that I love to eat when we go out to restaurants and although it is a bit of work to make at home, it is totally worth it! I made mine up and threw it in a small crockpot to keep warm when everyone got to my house.

Chili Con Queso
(recipe found on pinterest via eatingwell.com)

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup pale ale, or other light-colored beer
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1 (10 ounces) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
1/4 cup sliced scallions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beer and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup milk and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring vigorously, until bubbling and thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add cheese and cook, stirring, until melted. Stir in drained tomatoes, lime juice, salt, chili powder and cayenne (if using). Serve warm, garnished with scallions and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment