Monday, April 28, 2014

French Toast Muffins



I think that I have said it before, probably every time that I make a breakfast meal, but I love breakfast!! It is so nice to be able to just get up in the morning, have a leisurely time with the family, drink some coffee and just enjoy the start of the day. I don't get to do it often enough with our crazy schedule but when I do I love it! Before my father in law left for the airport, I wanted to send him off with a delicious breakfast to fill him up and I chose to make french toast muffins, mainly because I love french toast and I was able to prepare this the night before!! It turned out so good!! I loved the crunchy top layer and I cooked it a little longer then the directions called for because I'm not a fan of soggy bread! These were amazing...


French Toast Muffins
(recipe found on pinterest via twopeasandtheirpod.com)

1 loaf French bread, cut or torn into 1/2" cubes (about 12 cups of bread)
2 1/2 cups milk
6 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For the Cinnamon Streusel Topping:

1/4 cup cold butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Butter and Maple Syrup, for serving, optional


In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Add about 1 cup of bread cubes to each muffin cup. Carefully pour egg and milk mixture evenly over each muffin tin. You may need to press down on the bread cubes after you pour a little mixture and then pour more. Pour slowly or you will have a mess. Cover the muffins with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350. To make the cinnamon streusel, in a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Mix together with your hands, until you have a crumbly mixture. Remove the muffins from the refrigerator and sprinkle the muffins evenly with the streusel topping. Bake for 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Let muffins cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and serve with butter and maple syrup, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment