Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tweedle-de-dees (or no bake cookies)

These are a cookie that my grandma made all the time and while I got the recipe from her a while ago they aren't my go to quick cookie. Why you ask - they seem so simple and you have all the ingredients... Well, they are simple but I didn't usually have all the ingredients that hers called for. Her recipe called for heavy cream which does not usually grace my refrigerator... So, when I found this recipe during my hunt for my Secret Recipe Club recipe for this month I had to try it... I shook it up a bit and added the 1/2 cup of peanut butter that my grandma usually had in hers and they tasted fabulous! The daycare kids loved them and my hips hated them... Oh well, that's another reason that I don't make them too often! :)

Tweedle-de-dees (or no bake cookies)
(recipe found at www.sweetsbeginning.blogspot.com)

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter
3 cups uncooked oats
dash of salt
1 cup coconut (optional)
1 cup pecans (optional)

In a medium sized saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Pour oats (and coconut and pecans if using) into a bowl and stir chocolate mixture into it. Mix thoroughly. Drop by the teaspoon onto wax paper. Let cool completely before packaging or storing.

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest boiling this for two minutes instead of one minute or they won't set up. This is the way my mom and I always cooked them.

    ReplyDelete