Monday, March 5, 2012

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting & the SRC

This months Secret Recipe Club had me really stretching my wings! http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/ is exactly what it sounds like - a fabulous tool for recipes that are healthy, organic and yummy and SO MUCH MORE... Now I am all about the healthy cooking, but I am not so stocked with the organic side of things! :) This called for a recipe that could handle a little adapting on my part with some of the ingredients and making sure that I had (or could find) everything that I needed.

I found a few recipes that I am going to try really soon - probably this week! They will definitely include her Perfect Blueberry Scones and these Delicious Yellow Cupcakes... This time, since my brother's birthday fell right in the middle of this month's secret recipe club I decided to make these Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cupcakes... Seriously how can you go wrong?? While mine didn't include anything organic, they still tasted fabulous and I was super happy with the maybe not so healthy version!! The daycare kids helped me make these and got to enjoy them for snack. They were pretty excited with the results as well - one of my kiddos even told his mom I was "the best cooker in the world". Now if that isn't high praise, I don't know what is! :) If you would like to see all that Winnie has to offer and for the "organic" version of this recipe click here. Thanks Winnie for the fabulous treat and I can't wait to try the scones next...



Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
(recipe found at http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/)

Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Frosting:
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour through salt). In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients (sour cream through vanilla). Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well with a rubber spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour batter into cupcake tins that are lined with paper liners. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool before removing from the pan. Serve as is, dusted with powdered sugar or topped with chocolate sour cream frosting.

Frosting:
Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler (or use the microwave; about 1-2 minutes.) Add sour cream and whisk until smooth. Frost tops of cooled cupcakes.






4 comments:

  1. So glad you liked the cupcakes!!! They look great xoxo Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG they look so adorable with the little drink umbrellas. I'm a big fan of sour cream or mayonnaise matched with chocolate. Both seem to bring out some of chocolate's underlying nuttiness. I bet these cupcakes are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three times chocolate and sour cream...YUM!!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete