Monday, January 7, 2013

Blueberry Coffee Cake and the Secret Recipe Club

What a better way to jump back on the horse then to start out with this month's Secret Recipe Club recipe?? This month I was assigned Evelyne's blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz and can I just tell you that I had a blast checking out the recipes that she makes?? Some of them were a bit beyond the cooking that I do but I definitely found a bunch that I wanted to try out right away! She also has a link to pinterest and you all know how much I love my pinterest! Make it so easy to find those recipes that you want to try later on...

So many ideas went through while I was checking through her blog... I usually try to stay away from anything that has been on SRC in the past, but seriously - I wanted to blog about her brown sugar bacon waffles!! My husband is going to flip when I make those! But, I steered clear and headed for the blueberry coffee cake instead! And next will definitely be her blueberry upside down cake... GOod thing I have all those blueberries waiting for me in the freezer!!

I made this for a breakfast for my daycare kids and they LOVED it... They all came running back for seconds, which made me extremely thankful that I had made a double batch! :) I used milk instead of light cream as she called for and I have a feeling this might have cause some issues with it looking a little "curdled" when I mixed in the milk and lemon juice. I was a little concerned but went through with the rest of the recipe and no worries, it tasted fabulous when it came out and looked delicious!!


Blueberry Coffee Cake
(recipe found at www.cheapethniceatz.com/)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/4 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, mix well and add milk and lemon juice. Mix until combined. In another bowl combine all dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients and mix well. Spoon half of batter into bottom of 9" round pan sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle blueberries over the top and gently cover with remaining batter. Bake for 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.



9 comments:

  1. This coffee cake looks fantastic! Absolutely delicious...loving this breakfast treat. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait til Blueberries are back in the store to try this delicious looking coffee cake! Awesome SRC pick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having blueberries mixed in with whatever I'm having for breakfast - muffins, oatmeal, coffee cake. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks great. I always need excuses to use my freezer which seems to be stuffed full of frozen blueberries. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG too funny, that was a save a failed scone recipe ha ha. Glad you liked it and thanks for the great comments. The upside down one is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blueberry coffee cake sounds fantastic and like the perfect way to start any day! Lovely pick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to be one of your daycare kids if they get fed such wonderful treats!! Looks delish.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry: Creamy Mints.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like such a treat. Lovely way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love blueberries so this looks wonderful. Especially for Breakfast.

    ReplyDelete