Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Cheeseburger and Fries Pies

I have been meaning to try this recipe for a while now... I pulled it out of a Parents magazine back in 2007 and I finally found it again and thought that I would try it with the family! They were delicious.


Cheeseburger and Fries Pies
(recipe found in Parents Magazine)

2 packages (4.25 ounces each) extra crispy microwave ready fries
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup beef or chicken broth
1 package refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
2 tablespoon chopped pickles
8 slices cheddar or american cheese

Heat oven to 400. Prepare fries according to package directions, then cut into bite size pieces. In a skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and add onion. Cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add ground beef and salt and cook, beaking up beef with a spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup and broth and cook 3 minutes more. Stir in fries and cool 5 minutes. Roll out piecrusts and cut each into quarters. Spoon filling into crusts. Top with pickles and a slice of cheese. Fold edges of crust up to form packets; seal edges. Place on a baking sheet and bake 20 minutes.

A few tips to learn from me and my mistakes! :)

When I brown my hamburger, I just throw the onion with it and fry it all up together. This will eliminate the need for the extra oil as well as the extra 6 minutes in cooking time!

I had a little problem with my pie crust falling apart as I was moving the pies, but other then that they turned out great! I think that my impatientness was a factor with the falling apart. It says to cool the meat for 5 minutes before placing on the pie crust and I definitely rushed it. Next time I will wait until it is really cool, maybe even longer then 5 minutes so that it doesn't heat through the pie crust...

Next time that I make this, I will use shredded cheese. I think that this will make it easier to roll up the pie crust around the filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment