Thursday, November 25, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Here is another yummy slow cooker soup recipe that we tried the other day. I thought that it was yummy and anything that you can put chips in is a hit with my kids! Josh didn't even whine about the black beans, so it must have been pretty good to him too! :)

Chicken Tortilla Soup
(recipe found in Fix It and Forget It)

4 chicken breast halves
2 (15 ounces each) cans black beans, undrained
2 (15 ounces each) can Mexican stewed tomatoes, or Rotel tomatoes
1 cup salsa
4 ounce can chopped green chilies
14 1/2 ounce can tomato sauce
tortilla chips
2 cups grated cheese

Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 hours. Just before serving, remove chicken breasts and slice into bite sized pieces. Stir into soup. To serve, put a handful of chips in each individual soup bowl. Ladle soup over chips. Top with cheese.

I chopped my chicken breasts up before I put them in the slow cooker. I would rather get that prep out of the way before it is all cooked and ready to go! I think that this may have caused them to cook a little faster then the recipe says though, so if you do this make sure that you shorten the time a bit... Our chicken was a little dry!

I would also recommend just crushing the chips up on top. I like them crunchy and they obviously got a little soggy when I put them on the bottom of the bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment