Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Slow Cooker Refried Beans



I love refried beans when I head out to the mexican restaurant but have never tried to make my own at home... I usually buy a can from the store, but there is just something about that can shaped blob that comes out when you shake the refried beans out that makes you shake your head and wish you hadn't bought that refried beans at all. So, I made homemade baked chicken chimichangas the other day and this recipe was linked to the recipe that I used for the chimichangas. I knew that I had to try it, especially when I saw how easy it was going to be - I mean, a slow cooker?? Now you're talking my language!! They were fabulous and a hit with the whole family... They have a little bit of a kick to them, not enough that it turned the kids off of them and they would be awesome to make up for some bean burritos! Definitely making these again and I want to try the bean dip recipe that is at the bottom of the page as well... If you get to it before me, let me know how it turned out! :)


Slow Cooker Refried Beans
(recipe found on sixsistersstuff.com)

1 onion, peeled and halved
3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
1/4-1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
5 cups water
4 cups chicken broth

Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and chicken broth and stir to combine. Cook on high for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high. Once the beans have cooked, strain them and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.

If you want to turn this into a big batch of bean dip, add the following:

2 cups salsa
2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese
8 ounces cream cheese
16 ounces sour cream
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Mix in with the beans and let cook a couple hours longer so flavors can blend. Makes a huge batch so just freeze leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment