Monday, August 8, 2011

Hearty Pita Tacos

I had this recipe planned for a week that ended up being crazy enough that I didn't get to it. So, I decided to make it up for when we went camping with some friends instead. It was a great throw together in advance meal that I could just dump into a crockpot and reheat while we were out playing! The pita pockets were a fun new adventure for my kids (I can't believe they have never had them before) and that made the meal all the more exciting! :) I doubled the recipe and easily had enough for 4 adults and 7 kids with some leftover...

Hearty Pita Tacos
(recipe found in Taste of Home Healthy Cooking)

1 pound lean ground beef
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup frozen corn
2/3 cup taco sauce
1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 whole wheat pita breads, halved
6 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
sliced avocado and additional taco sauce, optional

In a large skillet, cook beef, red pepper and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans, corn, taco sauce, olives and seasonings; heat through. Spoon 3/4 cup beef mixture into each pita half. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with avocado and additional taco sauce if desired.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delish! I bookmarked it to try later. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete