Monday, August 1, 2011

Mac and Beer Cheese Cups

My kids LOVED these! They were so fun to make and a different way to serve Mac and Cheese... As we were eating them I thought about how fun they would be to have as a side dish at a party! We had them with some of the venison sausage that we have in our freezer and it made a great meal... Alas, when I got home from the grocery store, I found that I did not have the bread crumbs that I thought were in my cupboard so they didn't have the fun topping that it calls for. I think that this would have made them even more fabulous! So, do me a favor and don't forget the bread crumbs when you try this recipe! :)



I mean seriously - can you tell that they loved these?? :)


Mac and Beer Cheese Cups
(recipe found at www.pillsbury.com)

3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup beer
1 cup shredded american cheese
2 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
slices of cooked beer bratwurst or popcorn

Heat oven to 375. Place foil baking cup in each of 15 regular size muffin cups. In a small microwavable bowl, microwave 1 tablespoon of the butter uncovered on high 15-30 seconds or until melted. Stir in bread crumbs; set aside. Cook and drain macaroni as directed on the package.

Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in 4 quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring with whisk. While continuing to stir, add milk and beer. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Add cooked macaroni; stir well.

Spoon about 1/4 cup macaroni into each cup. Top each with bread crumb mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot and topping is golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.

1 comment:

  1. I'll take my M n C any way I can get. In a cup, a bowl or on a plate. That sausage mixed into it as well would make one deeelish dish!

    ReplyDelete