Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Yeah, yeah - I know, it isn't the pumpkin season right now, but I had to do it. Found this recipe for granola bars and I had to hunt down some pumpkin immediately! I am a chewy granola bar kind of girl, I don't like the crunchy ones, so when I saw that these bars would stay moist because of the pumpkin I had to try them! They went like hotcakes at my house, so I was glad that I doubled the recipe like they suggested... Even with the kids leaving the bars uncovered practically all weekend they still stayed fresh, moist and delicious!!


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
(recipe found at www.twopeasandtheirpod.com)

3 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x8" baking pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk oats, spices and salt together. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar pumpkin, applesauce, honey and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over oats and stir well, until all the oats are moist. Stir in chocolate chips.

Evenly press oat mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Do not underbake. Remove form oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife cut into bars. Remove from pan and let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment